TERMS OF SERVICE
GENERAL TERMS FOR EACH SERVICE
1. Introduction. This Terms of Service document (hereinafter "Agreement") is a contract between you and Fremont Bank (hereinafter "we" or "us") in connection with each service that is described in the rest of this Agreement that applies to services you use from us, as applicable (each, a "Service") offered through our online banking site or mobile applications (the "Site"). The Agreement consists of these General Terms for Each Service (referred to as "General Terms"), and each set of Terms that follows after the General Terms that applies to the specific Service you are using from us. This Agreement applies to your use of the Service and the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered.
2. Service Providers. We are offering you the Service through one or more Service Providers that we have engaged to render some or all of the Service to you on our behalf. However, notwithstanding that we have engaged such a Service Provider to render some or all of the Service to you, we are the sole party liable to you for any payments or transfers conducted using the Service and we are solely responsible to you and any third party to the extent any liability attaches in connection with the Service. You agree that we have the right under this Agreement to delegate to Service Providers all of the rights and performance obligations that we have under this Agreement, and that the Service Providers will be third party beneficiaries of this Agreement and will be entitled to all the rights and protections that this Agreement provides to us. Service Provider and certain other capitalized terms are defined in a "Definitions" Section at the end of the General Terms. Other defined terms are also present at the end of each set of Terms that follow after the General Terms, as applicable.
3. Amendments. We may amend this Agreement and any applicable fees and charges for the Service at any time by posting a revised version on the Site. The revised version will be effective at the time it is posted unless a delayed effective date is expressly stated in the revision. Any use of the Service after a notice of change or after the posting of a revised version of this Agreement on the Site will constitute your agreement to such changes and revised versions. Further, we may, from time to time, revise, update, upgrade or enhance the Service and/or related applications or material, which may render all such prior versions obsolete. Consequently, we reserve the right to terminate this Agreement as to all such prior versions of the Service, and/or related applications and material, and limit access to only the Service’s more recent revisions, updates, upgrades or enhancements.
4. Our Relationship With You. We are an independent contractor for all purposes, except that we act as your agent with respect to the custody of your funds for the Service. We do not have control of, or liability for, any products or services that are paid for with our Service. We also do not guarantee the identity of any user of the Service (including but not limited to recipients to whom you send payments).
5. Assignment. You may not transfer or assign any rights or obligations you have under this Agreement without our prior written consent, which we may withhold in our sole discretion. We reserve the right to transfer or assign this Agreement or any right or obligation under this Agreement at any time to any party. We may also assign or delegate certain of our rights and responsibilities under this Agreement to independent contractors or other third parties.
6. Notices to Us Regarding the Service. Except as otherwise stated below, notice to us concerning the Site or the Service must be sent by postal mail to:
Attn: Online Banking
P.O. Box 5101
Fremont, CA 94537-5101
We may also be reached at 800-877-8021 for questions and other purposes concerning the Service. We will act on your telephone calls as described below in Section 22 of the General Terms (Errors, Questions, and Complaints), but otherwise, such telephone calls will not constitute legal notices under this Agreement.
7. Notices to You. You agree that we may provide notice to you by posting it on the Site, sending you an in-product message within the Service, emailing it to an email address that you have provided us, mailing it to any postal address that you have provided us, or by sending it as a text message to any mobile phone number that you have provided us, including but not limited to the mobile phone number that you have listed in your Service setup or customer profile. For example, users of the Service may receive certain notices (such as notices of processed Payment Instructions, alerts for validation and notices of receipt of payments) as text messages on their mobile phones. All notices by any of these methods shall be deemed received by you no later than twenty-four (24) hours after they are sent or posted, except for notice by postal mail, which shall be deemed received by you no later than three (3) Business Days after it is mailed. You may request a paper copy of any legally required disclosures and you may terminate your consent to receive required disclosures through electronic communications by contacting us as described in Section 6 of the General Terms above. We reserve the right to charge you a reasonable fee not to exceed twenty dollars ($20.00) to respond to each such request. We reserve the right to terminate your use of the Service if you withdraw your consent to receive electronic communications.
9. Receipts and Transaction History. You may view your transaction history by logging into the Service and looking at your transaction history. You agree to review your transactions by this method instead of receiving receipts by mail.
11. Privacy of Others. If you receive information about another person through the Service, you agree to keep the information confidential and only use it in connection with the Service.
12. Eligibility. The Service is offered only to individual residents of the United States who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. Without limiting the foregoing, the Service is not offered to minors unless the minor is using an Eligible Transaction Account in the name of the minor with a parent or guardian as a co-signor or guarantor. By using the Service, you represent that you meet these requirements and that you agree to be bound by this Agreement.
13. Prohibited Payments. The following types of payments are prohibited through the Service, and we have the right but not the obligation to monitor for, block, cancel and/or reverse such payments:
- Payments to or from persons or entities located in prohibited territories (including any territory outside of the United States); and
- Payments that violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; and
- Payments that violate the Acceptable Use terms in Section 14 of the General Terms below; and
- Payments related to: (1) tobacco products, (2) prescription drugs and devices; (3) narcotics, steroids, controlled substances or other products that present a risk to consumer safety; (4) drug paraphernalia; (5) ammunition, firearms, or firearm parts or related accessories; (6) weapons or knives regulated under applicable law; (7) goods or services that encourage, promote, facilitate or instruct others to engage in illegal activity; (8) goods or services that are sexually oriented; (9) goods or services that promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime; (10) goods or services that defame, abuse, harass or threaten others; (11) goods or services that include any language or images that are bigoted, hateful, racially offensive, vulgar, obscene, indecent or discourteous; (12) goods or services that advertise, sell to, or solicit others; or (13) goods or services that infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy, or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction; and
- Payments related to gambling, gaming and/or any other activity with an entry fee and a prize, including, but not limited to, casino games, sports betting, horse or dog racing, lottery tickets, other ventures that facilitate gambling, games of skill (whether or not it is legally defined as a lottery) and sweepstakes; and
- Payments relating to transactions that (1) support pyramid or ponzi schemes, matrix programs, other "get rich quick" schemes or multi-level marketing programs, (2) are associated with purchases of real property, annuities or lottery contracts, lay-away systems, off-shore banking or transactions to finance or refinance debts funded by a credit card, (3) are for the sale of items before the seller has control or possession of the item, (4) constitute money-laundering or terrorist financing, (5) are associated with the following "money service business" activities: the sale of traveler’s checks or money orders, currency dealers or exchanges, or check cashing, or (6) provide credit repair or debt settlement services; and
- Tax payments and court ordered payments.
Except as required by applicable law, in no event shall we or our Service Providers be liable for any claims or damages resulting from your scheduling of prohibited payments. We encourage you to provide notice to us by the methods described in Section 6 of the General Terms above of any violations of the General Terms or the Agreement generally.
14. Acceptable Use. You agree that you are independently responsible for complying with all applicable laws in all of your activities related to your use of the Service, regardless of the purpose of the use, and for all communications you send through the Service. We and our Service Providers have the right but not the obligation to monitor and remove communications content that we find in our sole discretion to be objectionable in any way. In addition, you are prohibited from using the Service for communications or activities that: (a) violate any law, statute, ordinance or regulation; (b) promote hate, violence, racial intolerance, or the financial exploitation of a crime; (c) defame, abuse, harass or threaten others; (d) include any language or images that are bigoted, hateful, racially offensive, vulgar, obscene, indecent or discourteous; (e) infringe or violate any copyright, trademark, right of publicity or privacy or any other proprietary right under the laws of any jurisdiction; (f) impose an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; (g) facilitate any viruses, trojan horses, worms or other computer programming routines that may damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or information; (h) constitute use of any robot, spider, other automatic device, or manual process to monitor or copy the Service or the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered without our prior written permission; (i) constitute use of any device, software or routine to bypass technology protecting the Site or Service, or interfere or attempt to interfere, with the Site or the Service; or (j) may cause us or our Service Providers to lose any of the services from our internet service providers, payment processors, or other vendors. We encourage you to provide notice to us by the methods described in Section 6 of the General Terms above of any violations of the General Terms or the Agreement generally.
15. Payment Methods and Amounts. There are limits on the amount of money you can send or receive through our Service. Your limits may be adjusted from time-to-time in our sole discretion. For certain Services, you may have the ability to log in to the Site to view your individual transaction limits. We or our Service Provider also reserve the right to select the method in which to remit funds on your behalf though the Service, and in the event that your Eligible Transaction Account is closed or otherwise unavailable to us the method to return funds to you. These payment methods may include, but may not be limited to, an electronic debit, a paper check drawn on the account of our Service Provider, or draft check drawn against your account.
16. Your Liability for Unauthorized Transfers. Immediately following your discovery of an unauthorized Payment Instruction, you shall communicate with customer care for the Service in the manner set forth in Section 6 of the General Terms above. You acknowledge and agree that time is of the essence in such situations. If you tell us within two (2) Business Days after you discover your password or other means to access your account through which you access the Service has been lost or stolen, your liability is no more than $50.00 should someone access your account without your permission. If you do not tell us within two (2) Business Days after you learn of such loss or theft, and we can prove that we could have prevented the unauthorized use of your password or other means to access your account if you had told us, you could be liable for as much as $500.00. If your monthly financial institution statement contains payments that you did not authorize, you must tell us at once. If you do not tell us within sixty (60) days after the statement was sent to you, you may lose any amount transferred without your authorization after the sixty (60) days if we can prove that we could have stopped someone from taking the money had you told us in time. If a good reason (such as a long trip or a hospital stay) prevented you from telling us, we will extend the time periods specified above to a reasonable period.
17. Taxes. It is your responsibility to determine what, if any, taxes apply to the transactions you make or receive, and it is your responsibility to collect, report and remit the correct tax to the appropriate tax authority. We are not responsible for determining whether taxes apply to your transaction, or for collecting, reporting or remitting any taxes arising from any transaction.
18. Failed or Returned Payment Instructions. In using the Service, you are requesting that we or our Service Provider attempt to make payments for you from your Eligible Transaction Account. If the Payment Instruction cannot be completed for any reason associated with your Eligible Transaction Account (for example, there are insufficient funds in your Eligible Transaction Account, or the Payment Instruction would exceed the credit or overdraft protection limit of your Eligible Transaction Account, to cover the payment), the Payment Instruction may or may not be completed. In certain circumstances, our Service Provider may either advance funds drawn on their corporate account or via an electronic debit, and in such circumstances will attempt to debit the Eligible Transaction Account a second time to complete the Payment Instruction. In some instances, you will receive a return notice from us or our Service Provider. In each such case, you agree that:
- You will reimburse our Service Provider immediately upon demand the amount of the Payment Instruction if the payment has been delivered but there are insufficient funds in, or insufficient overdraft credits associated with, your Eligible Transaction Account to allow the debit processing to be completed;
- You may be assessed a late fee equal to one and a half percent (1.5%) of any unpaid amounts plus costs of collection by our Service Provider or their third-party contractor if the Payment Instruction cannot be debited because you have insufficient funds in your Eligible Transaction Account, or the transaction would exceed the credit or overdraft protection limit of your Eligible Transaction Account, to cover the payment, or if the funds cannot otherwise be collected from you. The aforesaid amounts will be charged in addition to any NSF charges that may be assessed by us, as set forth in your fee schedule from us (including as disclosed on the Site) or your account agreement with us. You hereby authorize us and our Service Provider to deduct all of these amounts from your designated Eligible Transaction Account, including by ACH debit;
- Service Provider is authorized to report the facts concerning the return to any credit reporting agency.
19. Address or Banking Changes. It is your sole responsibility and you agree to ensure that the contact information in your user profile is current and accurate. This includes, but is not limited to, name, physical address, phone numbers and email addresses. Depending on the Service, changes may be able to be made within the user interface of the Service or by contacting customer care for the Service as set forth in Section 6 of the General Terms above. We are not responsible for any payment processing errors or fees incurred if you do not provide accurate Eligible Transaction Account, Payment Instructions or contact information.
- Mobile Subscriber Information. You authorize your wireless carrier to disclose information about your account, such as subscriber status, payment method and device details, if available, to support identity verification, fraud avoidance and other uses in support of transactions for the duration of your business relationship with us. This information may also be shared with other companies to support your transactions with us and for identity verification and fraud avoidance purposes.
- Device Data. We may share certain personal information and device-identifying technical data about you and your devices with third party service providers, who will compare and add device data and fraud data from and about you to a database of similar device and fraud information in order to provide fraud management and prevention services, which include but are not limited to identifying and blocking access to the applicable service or Web site by devices associated with fraudulent or abusive activity. Such information may be used by us and our third party service providers to provide similar fraud management and prevention services for services or Web sites not provided by us. We will not share with service providers any information that personally identifies the user of the applicable device.
21. Service Termination, Cancellation, or Suspension. If you wish to cancel the Service, you may contact us as set forth in Section 6 of the General Terms above. Any payment(s) that have begun processing before the requested cancellation date will be processed by us. You agree that we may terminate or suspend your use of the Service at any time and for any reason or no reason. Neither termination, cancellation nor suspension shall affect your liability or obligations under this Agreement.
22. Errors, Questions, and Complaints.
- In case of errors or questions about your transactions, you should as soon as possible contact us as set forth in Section 6 of the General Terms above.
- If you think your periodic statement for your account is incorrect or you need more information about a transaction listed in the periodic statement for your account, we must hear from you no later than sixty (60) days after we send you the applicable periodic statement for your account that identifies the error. You must:
- Tell us your name;
- Describe the error or the transaction in question, and explain as clearly as possible why you believe it is an error or why you need more information; and,
- Tell us the dollar amount of the suspected error.
- If you tell us orally, we may require that you send your complaint in writing within ten (10) Business Days after your oral notification. Except as described below, we will determine whether an error occurred within ten (10) Business Days after you notify us of the error. We will tell you the results of our investigation within three (3) Business Days after we complete our investigation of the error, and will correct any error promptly. However, if we require more time to confirm the nature of your complaint or question, we reserve the right to take up to forty-five (45) days to complete our investigation. If we decide to do this, we will provisionally credit your Eligible Transaction Account within ten (10) Business Days for the amount you think is in error. If we ask you to submit your complaint or question in writing and we do not receive it within ten (10) Business Days, we may not provisionally credit your Eligible Transaction Account. If it is determined there was no error we will mail you a written explanation within three (3) Business Days after completion of our investigation. You may ask for copies of documents used in our investigation. We may revoke any provisional credit provided to you if we find an error did not occur.
23. Intellectual Property. All other marks and logos related to the Service are either trademarks or registered trademarks of us or our licensors. In addition, all page headers, custom graphics, button icons, and scripts are our service marks, trademarks, and/or trade dress or those of our licensors. You may not copy, imitate, or use any of the above without our prior written consent, which we may withhold in our sole discretion, and you may not use them in a manner that is disparaging to us or the Service or display them in any manner that implies our sponsorship or endorsement. All right, title and interest in and to the Service, the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered, the technology related to the Site and Service, and any and all technology and any content created or derived from any of the foregoing, is our exclusive property or that of our licensors. Moreover, any suggestions, ideas, notes, drawings, concepts, or other information you may send to us through or regarding the Site or Service shall be considered an uncompensated contribution of intellectual property to us and our licensors, shall also be deemed our and our licensors’ exclusive intellectual property, and shall not be subject to any obligation of confidentiality on our part. By submitting any such materials to us, you automatically grant (or warrant that the owner of such materials has expressly granted) to us and our licensors a perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, publicly perform and display, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed, and you warrant that all so-called "moral rights" in those materials have been waived, and you warrant that you have the right to make these warranties and transfers of rights.
24. Links and Frames. Links to other sites may be provided on the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered for your convenience. By providing these links, we are not endorsing, sponsoring or recommending such sites or the materials disseminated by or services provided by them, and are not responsible for the materials, services or other situations at or related to or from any other site, and make no representations concerning the content of sites listed in any of the Service web pages. Consequently, we cannot be held responsible for the accuracy, relevancy, copyright compliance, legality or decency of material contained in sites listed in any search results or otherwise linked to the Site. For example, if you "click" on a banner advertisement or a search result, your "click" may take you off the Site. This may include links from advertisers, sponsors, and content partners that may use our logo(s) as part of a co-branding agreement. These other sites may send their own cookies to users, collect data, solicit personal information, or contain information that you may find inappropriate or offensive. In addition, advertisers on the Site may send cookies to users that we do not control. You may link to the home page of our Site. However, you may not link to other pages of our Site without our express written permission. You also may not "frame" material on our Site without our express written permission. We reserve the right to disable links from any third party sites to the Site.
25. Password and Security. If you are issued or create any password or other credentials to access the Service or the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered, you agree not to give or make available your password or credentials to any unauthorized individuals, and you agree to be responsible for all actions taken by anyone to whom you have provided such credentials. If you believe that your credentials have been lost or stolen or that someone may attempt to use them to access the Site or Service without your consent, you must inform us at once at the telephone number provided in Section 6 of the General Terms above. See also Section 16 of the General Terms above regarding how the timeliness of your notice impacts your liability for unauthorized transfers.
26. Remedies. If we have reason to believe that you have engaged in any of the prohibited or unauthorized activities described in this Agreement or have otherwise breached your obligations under this Agreement, we may terminate, suspend or limit your access to or use of the Site or the Service; notify law enforcement, regulatory authorities, impacted third parties, and others as we deem appropriate; refuse to provide our services to you in the future; and/or take legal action against you. In addition, we, in our sole discretion, reserve the right to terminate this Agreement, access to the Site and/or use of the Service for any reason or no reason and at any time. The remedies contained in this Section 26 of the General Terms are cumulative and are in addition to the other rights and remedies available to us under this Agreement, by law or otherwise.
27. Disputes. In the event of a dispute regarding the Service, you and we agree to resolve the dispute by looking to this Agreement.
28. Arbitration. For any claim (excluding claims for injunctive or other equitable relief) where the total amount of the award sought is less than $10,000.00 USD, the party requesting relief may elect to resolve the dispute in a cost effective manner through binding non-appearance-based arbitration. If a party elects arbitration, that party will initiate such arbitration through Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services ("JAMS"), the American Arbitration Association ("AAA"), or an established alternative dispute resolution (ADR) administrator mutually agreed upon by the parties. The parties agree that the following rules shall apply: (a) the arbitration may be conducted telephonically, online and/or be solely based on written submissions, at the election of the party initiating the arbitration; (b) the arbitration shall not involve any personal appearance by the parties, their representatives or witnesses unless otherwise mutually agreed by the parties; (c) discovery shall not be permitted; (d) the matter shall be submitted for decision within ninety (90) days of initiation of arbitration, unless otherwise agreed by the parties, and the arbitrator must render a decision within thirty (30) days of submission; and (e) any award in such arbitration shall be final and binding upon the parties and may be submitted to any court of competent jurisdiction for confirmation. The parties acknowledge that remedies available under federal, state and local laws remain available through arbitration. NO CLASS ACTION, OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION, OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL ACTION, OR JOINDER OR CONSOLIDATION OF ANY CLAIM WITH A CLAIM OF ANOTHER PERSON SHALL BE ALLOWABLE IN ARBITRATION.
29. Law and Forum for Disputes. Unless our account agreement with you states otherwise, this Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State in which you reside, without regard to its conflicts of laws provisions. To the extent that the terms of this Agreement conflict with applicable state or federal law, such state or federal law shall replace such conflicting terms only to the extent required by law. Unless expressly stated otherwise, all other terms of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect. Unless our account agreement with you states otherwise, you agree that any claim or dispute you may have against us (other than those which are arbitrated under Section 28 of the General Terms above) must be resolved by a court located in the county in which you reside. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purpose of litigating all claims or disputes unless said claim is submitted to arbitration under Section 28 of the General Terms of this Agreement. The United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods shall not apply to this Agreement. BOTH PARTIES AGREE TO WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO HAVE A JURY PARTICIPATE IN THE RESOLUTION OF ANY DISPUTE OR CLAIM BETWEEN THE PARTIES OR ANY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE AFFILIATES ARISING UNDER THIS AGREEMENT.
30. Indemnification. You agree to defend, indemnify and hold harmless us and our Affiliates and Service Providers and their Affiliates and the employees and contractors of each of these, from any loss, damage, claim or demand (including attorney’s fees) made or incurred by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement and/or your use of the Site or the applicable Service.
31. Release. You release us and our Affiliates and Service Providers and the employees and contractors of each of these, from any and all claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature arising out of or in any way connected with any dispute that may arise between you or one or more other users of the Site or the applicable Service. In addition, if applicable to you, you waive California Civil Code §1542, which states that a general release does not extend to claims which the creditor does not know or suspect to exist in his favor at the time of executing the release, which if not known by him must have materially affected his settlement with the debtor.
32. No Waiver. We shall not be deemed to have waived any rights or remedies hereunder unless such waiver is in writing and signed by one of our authorized representatives. No delay or omission on our part in exercising any rights or remedies shall operate as a waiver of such rights or remedies or any other rights or remedies. A waiver on any one occasion shall not be construed as a bar or waiver of any rights or remedies on future occasions.
33. Exclusions of Warranties. THE SITE AND SERVICE AND RELATED DOCUMENTATION ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. IN PARTICULAR, WE DO NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO ANY PART OF OUR SERVICE, AND OPERATION OF OUR SITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE DISCLAIMER OF CERTAIN IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO THE FOREGOING DISCLAIMERS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS PARAGRAPH GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER LEGAL RIGHTS THAT VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
34. Limitation of Liability. THE FOREGOING SHALL CONSTITUTE YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES AND THE ENTIRE LIABILITY OF US AND OUR AFFILIATES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS AND THE EMPLOYEES AND CONTRACTORS OF EACH OF THESE, FOR THE SERVICE AND THE PORTION OF THE SITE THROUGH WHICH THE SERVICE IS OFFERED. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT FROM TIME TO TIME, THE SERVICE MAY BE DELAYED, INTERRUPTED OR DISRUPTED PERIODICALLY FOR AN INDETERMINATE AMOUNT OF TIME DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES BEYOND OUR REASONABLE CONTROL, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY INTERRUPTION, DISRUPTION OR FAILURE IN THE PROVISION OF THE SERVICE, WHETHER CAUSED BY STRIKES, POWER FAILURES, EQUIPMENT MALFUNCTIONS INTERNET DISRUPTION OR OTHER REASONS. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE OR OUR AFFILIATES OR SERVICE PROVIDERS OR THE EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS OF ANY OF THESE, BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE SERVICE CAUSED BY OR ARISING OUT OF ANY SUCH DELAY, INTERRUPTION, DISRUPTION OR SIMILAR FAILURE. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE OR OUR AFFILIATES OR SERVICE PROVIDERS OR THE EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS OF ANY OF THESE, BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING LOSS OF GOODWILL OR LOST PROFITS (EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY THEREOF) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE INSTALLATION, USE, OR MAINTENANCE OF THE SERVICE OR THE PORTION OF THE SITE THROUGH WHICH THE SERVICE IS OFFERED, EVEN IF SUCH DAMAGES WERE REASONABLY FORESEEABLE AND NOTICE WAS GIVEN REGARDING THEM. IN NO EVENT SHALL WE OR OUR AFFILIATES OR SERVICE PROVIDERS OR THE EMPLOYEES OR CONTRACTORS OF ANY OF THESE BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO THE SERVICE OR THE PORTION OF THE SITE THROUGH WHICH THE SERVICE IS OFFERED THAT YOU DO NOT STATE IN WRITING IN A COMPLAINT FILED IN A COURT OR ARBITRATION PROCEEDING AS DESCRIBED IN SECTIONS 28 AND 29 OF THE GENERAL TERMS ABOVE WITHIN TWO (2) YEARS OF THE DATE THAT THE EVENT GIVING RISE TO THE CLAIM OCCURRED. THESE LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY TO ALL CAUSES OF ACTION, WHETHER ARISING FROM BREACH OF CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY, AND THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF OUR AFFILIATES AND SERVICE PROVIDERS AND THE EMPLOYEES AND CONTRACTORS OF EACH OF THESE, TO YOU AND ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS OR OBLIGATIONS RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT SHALL BE LIMITED TO DIRECT OUT OF POCKET DAMAGES UP TO A MAXIMUM OF $500 (FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS). SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
35. Complete Agreement, Severability, Captions, and Survival. You agree that this Agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the agreement between us, sets forth the entire understanding between us and you with respect to the Service and the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered and supersedes any proposal or prior agreement, oral or written, and any other communications between us. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced. The captions of Sections in this Agreement are for convenience only and shall not control or affect the meaning or construction of any of the provisions of this Agreement. Sections 2, 5-7, 11, 17, 18, 23, and 26-35 of the General Terms, as well as any other terms which by their nature should survive, will survive the termination of this Agreement. If there is a conflict between the terms of this Agreement and something stated by an employee or contractor of ours (including but not limited to its customer care personnel), the terms of the Agreement will prevail.
- "ACH Network" means the funds transfer system, governed by the NACHA Rules, that provides funds transfer services to participating financial institutions.
- "Affiliates" are companies related by common ownership or control.
- "Business Day" is every Monday through Friday, excluding Federal Reserve holidays or other days that banks are legally closed.
- "Eligible Transaction Account" is a transaction account from which your payments will be debited, your Service fees, if any, will be automatically debited, or to which payments and credits to you will be credited, that is eligible for the Service. Depending on the Service, an Eligible Transaction Account may include a checking, money market or other direct deposit account, credit card account, or debit card account, including any required routing information.
- "Payment Instruction" is the information provided for a payment to be made under the applicable Service, which may be further defined and described below in connection with a specific Service.
- "Payment Network" means a debit or credit network (such as the ACH Network or ACCEL / Exchange payment network) through which funds may be transferred.
- "Service Provider" means companies that we have engaged (and their Affiliates) to render some or all of the Service to you on our behalf.
BILL PAYMENT SERVICE ADDITIONAL TERMS
1. Description of Service. The term "Bill Payment Terms" means these Bill Payment Service Additional Terms. The bill payment service (for purposes of these Bill Payment Terms, and the General Terms as they apply to these Bill Payment Terms, the "Service") enables you to receive, view, and pay bills from the Site.
2. Payment Scheduling. The earliest possible Scheduled Payment Date for each Biller will be designated within the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered when you are scheduling the payment. Therefore, the Service will not permit you to select a Scheduled Payment Date less than the earliest possible Scheduled Payment Date designated for each Biller. When scheduling payments you must select a Scheduled Payment Date that is no later than the actual Due Date reflected on your Biller statement unless the Due Date falls on a non-Business Day. If the actual Due Date falls on a non-Business Day, you must select a Scheduled Payment Date that is at least one (1) Business Day before the actual Due Date. Scheduled Payment Dates must be prior to any late date or grace period. Depending on the method of payment, your Eligible Transaction Account may be debited prior to the Scheduled Payment Date. For example, if the selected method of payment is a draft check drawn on your account, the draft check arrives earlier than the Scheduled Payment Date due to expedited delivery by the postal service, and the Biller immediately deposits the draft check, your Eligible Transaction Account may be debited earlier than the Scheduled Payment Date.
3. The Service Guarantee. Due to circumstances beyond the control of the Service, particularly delays in handling and posting payments by Billers or financial institutions, some transactions may take longer to be credited to your account. The Service will bear responsibility for any late payment related charges up to $50.00 should a payment post after its Due Date as long as the payment was scheduled in accordance with the Section 2 of the Bill Payment Terms (Payment Scheduling).
4. Payment Authorization and Payment Remittance. By providing the Service with names and account information of Billers to whom you wish to direct payments, you authorize the Service to follow the Payment Instructions that it receives through the Site. In order to process payments more efficiently and effectively, the Service may edit or alter payment data or data formats in accordance with Biller directives.
When the Service receives a Payment Instruction, you authorize the Service to debit your Eligible Transaction Account and remit funds on your behalf so that the funds arrive as close as reasonably possible to the Scheduled Payment Date designated by you. You also authorize the Service to credit your Eligible Transaction Account for payments returned to the Service by the United States Postal Service or Biller, or payments remitted to you on behalf of another authorized user of the Service.
The Service will attempt to make all your payments properly. However, the Service shall incur no liability and any Service Guarantee (as described in Section 3 of the Bill Payment Terms) shall be void if the Service is unable to complete any payments initiated by you because of the existence of any one or more of the following circumstances:
- If, through no fault of the Service, your Eligible Transaction Account does not contain sufficient funds to complete the transaction or the transaction would exceed the credit limit of your overdraft account;
- The payment processing center is not working properly and you know or have been advised by the Service about the malfunction before you execute the transaction;
- You have not provided the Service with the correct Eligible Transaction Account information, or the correct name, address, phone number, or account information for the Biller; and/or,
- Circumstances beyond control of the Service (such as, but not limited to, fire, flood, or interference from an outside force) prevent the proper execution of the transaction and the Service has taken reasonable precautions to avoid those circumstances.
Provided none of the foregoing exceptions are applicable, if the Service causes an incorrect amount of funds to be removed from your Eligible Transaction Account or causes funds from your Eligible Transaction Account to be directed to a Biller which does not comply with your Payment Instructions, the Service shall be responsible for returning the improperly transferred funds to your Eligible Transaction Account, and for directing to the proper Biller any previously misdirected transactions, and, if applicable, for any late payment related charges.
5. Payment Cancellation Requests. You may cancel or edit any Scheduled Payment (including recurring payments) by following the directions within the portion of the Site through which the Service is offered. There is no charge for canceling or editing a Scheduled Payment. Once the Service has begun processing a payment it cannot be cancelled or edited, therefore a stop payment request must be submitted.
6. Stop Payment Requests. The Service's ability to process a stop payment request will depend on the payment method and whether or not a check has cleared. The Service may also not have a reasonable opportunity to act on any stop payment request after a payment has been processed. If you desire to stop any payment that has already been processed, you must contact customer care for the Service in the manner set forth in Section 22 of the General Terms above. Although the Service will attempt to accommodate your request, the Service will have no liability for failing to do so. The Service may also require you to present your request in writing within fourteen (14) days. The charge for each stop payment request will be the current charge for such service as set out in the applicable fee schedule.
7. Exception Payments Requests. Exception Payments may be scheduled through the Service, however Exception Payments are discouraged and must be scheduled at your own risk. Except as required by applicable law, in no event shall the Service be liable for any claims or damages resulting from your scheduling of Exception Payments. The Service Guarantee (as described in Section 3 of the Bill Payment Terms) does not apply to Exception Payments.
8. Bill Delivery and Presentment. The Service includes a feature that electronically presents you with electronic bills from select Billers. Electronic bills may not be available from all of your Billers. Electronic bills are provided as a convenience only, and you remain solely responsible for contacting your Billers directly if you do not receive their statements. In addition, if you elect to activate one of the Service's electronic bill options, you also agree to the following:
- Presentation of electronic bills. You will receive electronic bills from a Biller only if both: (a) you have designated it in the Service as one of your Billers, and (b) the Biller has arranged with our Service Provider to deliver electronic bills. The Service may then present you with electronic bills from that Biller if either: (1) you affirmatively elect online within the Service to receive electronic bills from the Biller, or (2) the Biller chooses to send you electronic bills on a temporary “trial basis.” In either case, you can elect online within the Service to stop receiving electronic bills from a Biller. Electing to receive electronic bills, automatically receiving trial electronic bills, and declining further elected or trial electronic bills all occur on an individual Biller basis. The Service does not include an option to prevent ever participating in the automatic trial electronic bill feature. When affirmatively electing to receive electronic bills from a particular Biller, you may be presented with terms from that Biller for your acceptance. We are not a party to such terms.
- Paper Copies of electronic bills. If you start receiving electronic bills from a Biller, the Biller may stop sending you paper or other statements. The ability to receive a paper copy of your statement(s) is at the sole discretion of the Biller. Check with the individual Biller regarding your ability to obtain paper copies of electronic bills on a regular or as-requested basis.
- Sharing Information with Billers. You authorize us to share identifying personal information about you (such as name, address, telephone number, Biller account number) with companies that you have identified as your Billers and which we have identified as offering electronic bills for purposes of matching your identity on the Service’s records and the Biller’s records to (a) activate your affirmative request for electronic bills, and/or (b) confirm your eligibility for “trial basis” electronic bills.
- Information held by the Biller. We are unable to update or change your personal information such as, but not limited to, name, address, phone numbers and email addresses, that is held by the Biller. Any changes will require you to contact the Biller directly. Additionally it is your responsibility to maintain all usernames and passwords for all electronic Biller sites. You also agree not to use someone else's information to gain unauthorized access to another person's bill. We may, at the request of the Biller, provide to the Biller your email address, service address, or other data specifically requested by the Biller for purposes of the Biller matching your identity against its records or informing you about the Biller’s services and/or bill information.
- Activation. We will notify the Biller of your request to receive electronic billing information. The presentment of your first electronic bill may vary from Biller to Biller and may take up to sixty (60) days, depending on the billing cycle of each Biller. While your electronic bill feature is being activated it is your responsibility to keep your accounts current. Each electronic Biller reserves the right to accept or deny your request to receive electronic bills.
- Authorization to obtain bill data. You authorize us to obtain bill data from your Billers that you have requested to send you electronic bills, and from your Billers that wish to send you trial electronic bills. For some Billers, you will be asked to provide us with your user name and password for that Biller. By providing us with such information, you authorize us to use the information to obtain your bill data.
- Notification. We will attempt to present all of your electronic bills promptly. In addition to notification within the Service, we may send an e-mail notification to the e-mail address listed for your account. It is your sole responsibility to ensure that this information is accurate. In the event you do not receive notification, it is your responsibility to periodically logon to the Service and check on the delivery of new electronic bills. The time for notification may vary from Biller to Biller. You are responsible for ensuring timely payment of all bills.
- Cancellation of electronic bill notification. The electronic Biller reserves the right to cancel the presentment of electronic bills at any time. You may cancel electronic bill presentment at any time. The timeframe for cancellation of your electronic bill presentment may vary from Biller to Biller. It may take up to sixty (60) days, depending on the billing cycle of each Biller. We will notify your electronic Biller(s) as to the change in status of your account and it is your sole responsibility to make arrangements for an alternative form of bill delivery. We will not be responsible for presenting any electronic bills that are already in process at the time of cancellation.
- Non-Delivery of electronic bill(s). You agree to hold us harmless should the Biller fail to deliver your statement(s). You are responsible for ensuring timely payment of all bills. Copies of previously delivered bills must be requested from the Biller directly.
- Accuracy and dispute of electronic bill. We are not responsible for the accuracy of your electronic bill(s). We are only responsible for presenting the information we receive from the Biller. Any discrepancies or disputes regarding the accuracy of your electronic bill summary or detail must be directly addressed and resolved with the Biller by you.
This Agreement does not alter your liability or obligations that currently exist between you and your Billers.
- Where it is necessary for completing transactions;
- Where it is necessary for activating additional services;
- In order to verify the existence and condition of your account to a third party, such as a credit bureau or Biller;
- To a consumer reporting agency for research purposes only;
- In order to comply with a governmental agency or court orders; or,
- If you give us your written permission.
10. Service Fees and Additional Charges. You are responsible for paying all fees associated with your use of the Service. Applicable fees will be disclosed in the user interface for, or elsewhere within, the Service or Site. Any applicable fees will be charged regardless of whether the Service was used, except for fees that are specifically use-based. Use-based fees for the Service will be charged against the Billing Account. There may be a charge for additional transactions and other optional services. You agree to pay such charges and authorize the Service to deduct the calculated amount from your designated Billing Account. Any financial fees associated with your standard deposit accounts will continue to apply. You are responsible for any and all telephone access fees and Internet service fees that may be assessed by your telephone and Internet service provider. Section 18 of the General Terms (Failed Or Returned Payment Instructions) applies if you do not pay our fees and charges for the Service, including without limitation if we debit the Billing Account for such fees, as described in this Section, and there are insufficient fees in the Billing Account.
11. Biller Limitation. The Service reserves the right to refuse to pay any Biller to whom you may direct a payment. As required by applicable law, the Service will notify you promptly if it decides to refuse to pay a Biller designated by you. as set forth in Section 13 of the General Terms (Prohibited Payments) or an Exception Payment under this Agreement.
12. Returned Payments. In using the Service, you understand that Billers and/or the United States Postal Service may return payments to the Service for various reasons such as, but not limited to, Biller's forwarding address expired; Biller account number is not valid; Biller is unable to locate account; or Biller account is paid in full. The Service will attempt to research and correct the returned payment and return it to your Biller, or void the payment and credit your Eligible Transaction Account. You may receive notification from the Service.
13. Information Authorization. In addition to Section 20 of the General Terms (Information Authorization), you agree that the Service reserves the right to obtain financial information regarding your account from a Biller or your financial institution (for example, to resolve payment posting problems or for verification).
14. Bill Capture. The following Bill Capture terms and conditions in this Section 14 (Bill Capture) only apply to Bill Capture (as defined below). If Bill Capture is not available to you within our mobile banking application, then this Section 14 (Bill Capture) does not apply.
Bill Capture. Your use of our mobile banking application may include the ability to add bill payment payees by utilizing your mobile phone to take pictures of your paper bills (“Bill Capture”). Once you take the picture, Bill Capture extracts and prefills Biller information such as the name, address and account number of the Biller into our mobile banking app for use with the Service, or matches the bill to an existing Biller and prefills the amount due and due date. Bill Capture is subject to the following terms:
- You shall use Bill Capture only for your own use in accordance with the terms of this Agreement;
- We do not guarantee that your mobile device will be compatible with Bill Capture; and
- You bear sole responsibility for confirming that the information captured by Bill Capture matches the information on the applicable bill pay stub, and in no event will we be liable for any results from your use of extracted data from Bill Capture with the Services, including, without limitation, any late fees for payments sent to an improper Biller or improper account.
15. Bill Discovery. The following Bill Discovery terms and conditions in this Section 15 (Bill Discovery) only apply to Bill Discovery (as defined below). If Bill Discovery is not available to you from our Site, then this Section 15 (Bill Discovery) does not apply.
Bill Discovery. The bill discovery feature (“Bill Discovery”) enables the automatic searching, identification, and retrieval of information about your Billers and bills based on matching information about your identity. In order to enable Bill Discovery, you will need to authorize the Service to access and use information from your consumer report from a credit bureau and/or our Biller network in order for Bill Discovery to identify potential matches. By providing your consent within the Bill Discovery portion of the Site, you authorize the Service to access and use such information until you withdraw your consent. You may withdraw your consent within the Bill Discovery portion of the Site at any time. If Bill Discovery has identified Biller matches, the Service will allow you to add these Billers to your user profile. New Billers added through Bill Discovery are subject to Section 8 (Bill Delivery and Presentment) of the Bill Payment Terms.
"Biller" is the person or entity to which you wish a bill payment to be directed or is the person or entity from which you receive electronic bills, as the case may be.
"Billing Account" is the checking account from which all Service fees will be automatically debited.
"Due Date" is the date reflected on your Biller statement for which the payment is due, not the late payment date or the date beginning or a date during any grace period.
"Eligible Transaction Account" is as defined in Section 36 of the General Terms, except that it shall be limited to an account that you hold with us, and from which bill payments will be debited.
"Exception Payments" means payments to deposit accounts or brokerage accounts, payments to settle securities transactions (including, without limitation, stocks, bonds, securities, futures (forex), options, or an investment interest in any entity or property).
"Payment Instruction" is as defined in Section 36 of the General Terms, and is further defined as the information provided by you to the Service for a bill payment to be made to the Biller (such as, but not limited to, Biller name, Biller account number, and Scheduled Payment Date).
"Scheduled Payment" is a payment that has been scheduled through the Service but has not begun processing.
"Scheduled Payment Date" is the day you want your Biller to receive your bill payment, unless the Scheduled Payment Date falls on a non-Business Day in which case it will be considered to be the previous Business Day.
POPMONEY® PAYMENTS SERVICE ADDITIONAL TERMS
1. Description of Service.
- The Instant Payments feature within the Popmoney Service ("Popmoney Instant Payments") uses Payment Networks designed to transfer funds on the same day or sooner, if practicable, to debit or credit funds to the Eligible Transaction Account of the Receiver, as applicable. Popmoney Instant Payments is only available for Payment Instructions submitted by a Sender to a Receiver (and not via a Popmoney Request). Not all Payment Networks participate in Popmoney Instant Payments. Popmoney Instant Payments are not instantaneous. Payment delivery speed may vary based upon the funds availability policy of each financial institution and Payment Network availability.
2. Payment Authorization and Payment Remittance.
- By providing us with names and telephone numbers, email addresses, and/or bank account information of Receivers to whom you wish to direct payments, you authorize us to follow the Payment Instructions that we receive through the Service. Once registered, you authorize us to credit your Eligible Transaction Account for payments remitted to you on behalf of a Sender without further approval from you.
- When we receive a Payment Instruction from you, you authorize us to debit your Eligible Transaction Account for the amount of any such Payment Instruction plus any related fees in effect (and as disclosed on the Site) at the time you initiate the Payment Instruction, and to remit funds on your behalf. You acknowledge and agree that any applicable fees will be charged when we receive a Payment Instruction from you, regardless of whether the Payment Instruction is ultimately completed. You also authorize us to credit your Eligible Transaction Account for the receipt of payments, including but not limited to those payments returned to us from Receivers to whom you sent payment(s) and those payments that were cancelled and returned to you because the processing of the Payment Instruction could not be completed.
- You acknowledge and agree that if your Payment Instructions identify an account by name and account number, the relevant financial institution may execute those Payment Instructions by reference to the account number only, even if such account number does not correspond to the account name. You further acknowledge and agree that financial institutions holding the account may choose to not investigate discrepancies between account names and account numbers. We have no responsibility to investigate discrepancies between account names and account numbers, outside of our obligations under the law to investigate errors, described above in Section 22 of the General Terms (Errors, Questions, and Complaints).
- You agree that we will not be liable in any way for any payments that you may receive, regardless of whether you authorized the Sender to send them to you.
- We will use reasonable efforts to complete all your Payment Instructions properly. However, we shall incur no liability if we are unable to complete any transaction because of the existence of any one or more of the following circumstances:
- If, through no fault of ours, the Eligible Transaction Account does not contain sufficient funds to complete the Payment Instruction or the Payment Instruction would exceed the credit limit of your overdraft account;
- The Service is not working properly and you know or have been advised by us about the malfunction before you execute the Payment Instruction;
- The payment is refused as described in Section 5 of the Popmoney Terms below;
- You have not provided us with the correct information, including but not limited to the correct Payment Instructions or Eligible Transaction Account information, or the correct name and address or mobile phone number of the Receiver to whom you are initiating a Payment Instruction; and/or,
- Circumstances beyond our control (such as, but not limited to, fire, flood, network or system down time, issues with the financial institution, or interference from an outside force) prevent the proper execution of the Payment Instruction.
- It is the responsibility of the Sender and the Receiver to ensure the accuracy of any information that they enter into the Service (including but not limited to the Payment Instructions and name, telephone number and/or email address for the Receiver to whom you are attempting to send a payment), and for informing us as soon as possible if they become aware that this information is inaccurate. We will make a reasonable effort to stop or recover a payment made to the wrong person or entity once informed, but we do not guarantee such stoppage or recovery and will bear no responsibility or liability for damages resulting from incorrect information entered by the Sender or Receiver.
- Popmoney Instant Payments: We are not responsible for the performance, speed, or other acts or omissions of the Payment Networks. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Agreement, Popmoney Instant Payments settlements are final except as set forth in the applicable Payment Network rules and recovery may not be possible; however, if applicable Payment Network rules allow for reversal of funds, we will attempt to recover such funds from the Receiver’s Eligible Transaction Account. We shall not be obligated to comply with the Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) Rules in such recovery efforts or otherwise in connection with Popmoney Instant Payments. We are only responsible for delivery of the applicable Payment Instructions to the applicable Payment Network in the format required by the applicable Payment Network’s specifications. We will choose the Payment Networks in which we will participate in our sole discretion.
3. Initiation of Payment Instructions. You may initiate (a) a one-time Payment Instruction to a Receiver for which processing shall be initiated immediately, (b) a one-time Payment Instruction to a Receiver for which processing shall be initiated at a later specified date up to one (1) year, and (c) a recurring series of Payment Instructions to a Receiver for which processing shall be initiated on the specified dates. Options (b) and (c) above are not available for Popmoney Instant Payments. Further details about each of these options can be found on the Site.
Payment Instructions initiated to Receivers are processed in two ways. You can provide all the required information about the Receiver, including his/her Eligible Transaction Account, necessary to complete a transfer of funds. Alternatively, you can provide contact information about the Receiver (including an email address and/or mobile telephone number) and the Popmoney Service may contact the Receiver and request that the Receiver (i) provide information so that we may validate the identity of the Receiver at the Popmoney Website and then (ii) provide Eligible Transaction Account information in order to complete the Payment Instruction (a "Two-Step Transfer"). If the Receiver maintains an Eligible Transaction Account with an institution that participates in or offers the Popmoney Service, the Receiver may access the Popmoney Service at his or her financial institution’s website or mobile application to complete the Payment Instruction and receive the payment.
For Popmoney Instant Payments, you can initiate a Payment Instruction using (i) the Receiver’s email address or mobile number, and the Popmoney Service will validate the Popmoney Instant Payments eligibility of the Receiver prior to transferring the funds; or (ii) the Receiver’s debit card information, and the funds will be immediately deposited into the Receiver’s checking or savings account affiliated with the debit card. Not all Payment Networks participate in Popmoney Instant Payments. Payment delivery speed may vary based upon the funds availability policy of each financial institution and Payment Network availability.
You understand and agree that when you initiate a Payment Instruction from an Eligible Transaction Account using the Popmoney Service, the processing of the Payment Instruction will begin and the debiting of your Eligible Transaction Account will occur as early as the day of such initiation. However, other than with respect to Popmoney Instant Payments, the payment funds will be transferred into the Receiver's Eligible Transaction Account no earlier than the next Business Day after you initiated the Payment Instruction. If you request a one-time Payment Instruction to be initiated on a specified date or a recurring series of Payment Instruction to be initiated on specified dates, then the processing of the Payment Instruction will begin on the specified date and the debiting of your Eligible Transaction Account will occur as early as the specified date(s). However, the payment funds will be transferred into the Receiver’s Eligible Transaction Account no earlier than the next Business Day following the specified date. In addition, in the case of all Two-Step Transfers, the deposit of the payment funds into the Receiver’s Eligible Transaction Account (even if debited or withdrawn from your Eligible Transaction Account) may be delayed if the Receiver has not provided the Popmoney Service with certain required information such as his or her Eligible Transaction Account information. The Site may contain additional information regarding the delivery of a payment to an Eligible Transaction Account.
You acknowledge and agree that we will begin to process the requested transfer of funds once the Receiver has provided (or we otherwise obtain) all required information, and you hereby authorize and direct us to retain such funds until the earlier of such time as the Receiver has provided (or we otherwise obtain) all required information or ten (10) Business Days. You further acknowledge and agree that our receipt of money to be transmitted to a Receiver shall not be deemed to have occurred and our obligation to complete a Payment Instruction shall not begin until such time as the Receiver provides us with (or we otherwise obtain) all required information necessary to process the related Payment Instruction in accordance with this Agreement. Any cancellation of a Payment Instruction prior to the Receiver providing us with such information shall be subject to the provisions of Section 5 of the Popmoney Terms, below.
4. Receiving Payments. If another person wants to initiate a Payment Instruction (including in response to a Popmoney Request, if applicable) using the Popmoney Service to an Eligible Transaction Account you hold or, as applicable, if you as a Requestor want to initiate a Popmoney Request, he, she or you can do that from the Site or from an Eligible Transaction Account at a financial institution that participates in the Popmoney Service or at the Popmoney Website.
You understand and agree that there may be a delay between the time you are notified of the pending Payment Instruction and the deposit of the payment funds into your Eligible Transaction Account, and you may be required to take additional steps to facilitate the deposit of the payment of funds into your Eligible Transaction Account. You authorize the Sender, the financial institution which holds the Sender's Eligible Transaction Account and us (including through the Site) to send emails to you and text messages to your mobile phone in connection with the Sender's initiation of Payment Instructions to you, and, as a Receiver, you may also receive Popmoney Requests from others through the Service.
You acknowledge and agree that in the event that funds are transferred into your Eligible Transaction Account as a result of a Payment Instruction and it is determined that such transfer was improper because it was not authorized by the sender, because there were not sufficient funds in the sender's account, or for any other reason, then you hereby authorize us or our Service Provider to withdraw from your Eligible Transaction Account an amount equal to the amount of funds improperly transferred to you.
If applicable, if you as a Requestor initiate a Popmoney Request using the Service you acknowledge and agree that as disclosed on the Site (a) the applicable service fee will be deducted from payments received by you from a Sender(s), and (b) no service fee will be charged if you as the Requestor do not receive any payments from the individuals to whom the Popmoney Request is sent. Further details about the foregoing can be found on the Site. You acknowledge and agree that individuals to whom you send a Popmoney Request may not receive, or otherwise may reject or ignore, your Popmoney Request. We do not guarantee that you will receive any payments from individuals by initiating a Popmoney Request.
5. Payment Cancellation, Stop Payment Requests and Refused Payments. Sender may cancel the initiation of a Payment Instruction or stop a Payment Instruction at any time until the processing of the Payment Instruction into the Receiver’s Eligible Transaction Account has begun. Popmoney Instant Payments Payment Instructions may not be cancelled as the Payment Instructions will be processed immediately. Our ability to stop a Payment Instruction or recover funds associated with an unauthorized Payment Instruction will depend on the manner in which the Payment Instruction was initiated, and whether the Payment Instruction to the Receiver’s Eligible Transaction Account has begun processing. Although we will make a reasonable effort to accommodate a stop payment request and to recover funds associated with an unauthorized Payment Instruction, we will have no liability for failing to do so. We may also require you to present your stop payment request or request to recover funds in writing within fourteen (14) days after contacting customer care. If we charge you to stop the payment or recover funds, then the charge for each stop payment or fund recovery request will be the current charge as set out in our current fee schedule. Payments not claimed by a Receiver will be automatically cancelled ten (10) days after the processing of the payment begins. When a Sender initiates a Payment Instruction, the Receiver is not required to accept the payment. You agree that you as a Sender will not hold us liable for any damages resulting from a Receiver’s decision to accept or not to accept a Payment Instruction initiated or attempted through the Service. We will, to the extent permitted by law, make reasonable attempts to return any unclaimed, refused, refunded, prohibited, or denied payment to your Eligible Transaction Account or use other reasonable efforts to return such payment to you as permitted by law.
6. Mobile Phone Users. Your phone service provider is not the provider of the Service. Users of the Service will receive text messages relating to their Payment Instructions and other notices from time to time if a mobile phone number is provided. Data and messaging charges from your telecommunications provider may apply, and you are responsible for any such charges. In the event your enrolled mobile device is lost or stolen, you agree to update your enrollment information and make the appropriate changes to disable the use of such device. You understand that there are risks associated with using a mobile device, and that in the event of theft or loss, your confidential information could be compromised. If you have questions about mobile service, you may send a text message with the word "HELP" to this number: 767666. To stop receiving text messages on your mobile phone, text "STOP" to this number: 767666.
7. Service Fees and Additional Charges. You are responsible for paying all fees associated with your use of the Service. Applicable fees will be disclosed in the user interface for, or elsewhere within, the Service or Site. YOU FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT ANY APPLICABLE FEES WILL BE CHARGED REGARDLESS OF WHETHER THE PAYMENT INSTRUCTION IS COMPLETED, UNLESS THE FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE INSTRUCTION IS SOLELY DUE TO OUR FAULT, except for those fees that are specifically use-based, such as Popmoney Request, if applicable. There may be a charge for additional transactions and other optional services. You agree to pay such charges and authorize us to deduct the calculated amount from your designated Eligible Transaction Account for these amounts and any additional charges that may be incurred by you. Any financial fees associated with your standard deposit accounts (or Other Eligible Transaction Accounts) will continue to apply. You are responsible for any and all telephone access fees and Internet service fees that may be assessed by your telephone and Internet service provider. Section 18 of the General Terms (Failed Or Returned Payment Instructions) applies if you do not pay our fees and charges for the Service, including without limitation if we debit the Eligible Transaction Account for such fees, as described in this Section, and there are insufficient fees in the Eligible Transaction Account.
8. Refused Payments. We reserve the right to refuse to pay any Receiver. We will attempt to notify the Sender promptly if we decide to refuse to pay a Receiver designated by the Sender.
9 Returned Payments. In using the Service, you understand that Receivers may reject Payment Instructions or otherwise return payments. We will use reasonable efforts to complete Payment Instructions initiated through the Service.
"Popmoney Request" means functionality that, if provided to you, allows a Requestor to request that another individual initiate a Payment Instruction to the Requestor through the Popmoney Service.
"Receiver" is a person or business entity that is sent a Payment Instruction through the Service.
"Requestor" is a person that requests an individual to initiate a Payment Instruction through the Popmoney Service.
"Sender" is a person or business entity that sends a Payment Instruction through the Service.